Wednesday 15 May 2013

Evaluation of Unit X

Well this Unit has been strange! I have really enjoyed it, and also really hated it at times. In the beginning we got off to a great start, our ideas were interesting and inspiring and everyone put in a lot of effort to show up to meetings and tutorials in Hilton House. I feel that my research was thorough and  has played a huge part in my final pieces. I really wanted to exhaust my research in this unit and explore every avenue possible, as we had a lot of time for this unit I thought that it was important to use this time to my advantage. I came to the conclusion that I wanted to incorporate stitch within this project as throughout the year I have not looked into embroidery and it is something that I really enjoy doing. This was also a way for me to stick to my textiles roots within an interdisciplinary unit.

The group that I was put in couldn't have been better! Although sometimes we couldn't all make it to meetings or tutorials we still communicated with one another. Our Facebook group was a key part to the project and a way for us to share thoughts, work and updates on the project. Within the last few weeks I must say that we could not have survived without this group! It is disappointing when some people have not done the work we promised to do or have not completed it to the time scale we set ourselves, but I am guilty of this myself on some occasions. It is hard to work as a team but it also gives you motivation to not let people down, which I quite enjoyed, However as I am quite a shy person I found it hard to make my opinions heard, as a few people over powered the group and sometimes forced their ideas onto us. This is something I will learn from and over come in future projects. I think that our over all collaboration has been excellent, and this is portrayed within our final piece. We all worked really hard to clear the exhibition space and to put everything up. We shared the work load and it felt good to get things done quickly and efficiently. When I have visited some other groups exhibitions it is clear to see that our group really clung to the collaboration theme, which I am proud of.

One thing I would change from this unit is the communication between staff and students. There barely was any. I totally understand that we are in uni now, we are all adults and this project is about just getting on with it, but when it came to important situations such as finding our space and missing tutorials this became very frustrating. However, this being said, I am glad it has been like this as it has taught me a lot of lessons for the future.

However, I have over all really enjoyed this unit. I have enjoyed meeting and working with new and different people with different ideas. Finding our own space and organising everything our selves has been a lesson and I will take this with me into the future, now knowing how to act professional in meetings with owners of exhibition space, and how to just get on with it! This has been something I can take with me in later life, and working life. One thing I have missed throughout this unit is TEXTILES!!!

 Thanks to all the girls for making this unit so easy and fun :).


No comments:

Post a Comment