Tuesday 5 February 2013

Data

Well its the end of one project and the start of another! I have decided to go into the textiles world of Print. Print has always excited me and is always something that I have thought about doing, but not something in which I have fully explored.

So for the initial few weeks before we break off for christmas we have been asked to collect research around the word 'DATA'. This could be taken in any way we liked and we played a game of Chinese whispers to get a more abstract outcome. I heard the phrase 'paper, text and graphs' so off to the library I went.. I found that researching into other peoples research was pretty boring, but I was looking at the visuals rather than the written word.






We were given a task to then use different rules to aid our drawing skills. We had to create a maze, but using our own rules, I chose to use blind drawing for this particular piece. We were asked to document date such as the growth and age of a tree, we firstly had to use our left hands to control the pencil and not let the lines touch one another. The second attempt was using a long garden pole with a graphite stick attached to the end, we had to stand back from the paper, and draw using our normal hands this time. I feel that my left handed attempt worked quite well as I surprised myself by being able to control the pencil well. However the second attempt with the pole did not work very well, it went out of shape and it slipped a lot of times.



Once we had drawn using these set rules we were asked to apply them to our own drawings, drawing from the research that we had carried out earlier in the day. I took inspiration from a range of graphs that I had found in geographical books and books about dentistry. I also collected some data from my own flat, using the data that printed out from my own printer after cleaning the printer heads. I tried to experiment with media here, using graphite sticks, pencil, fine liner and gouache. Personally I do not feel that these have worked out as-well as I would have liked but it was just something to get us drawing again and thinking about the different ways in which we can make a mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment