Monday 10 December 2012

Evaluation of Origins Unit

Throughout this project, drawing was the key aspect. Although during the first two weeks or so of the project I was feeling really uninspired and unmotivated, I did not feel as though this was the right world for me and that I was slightly out of my depth. This lead to my work becoming quite slowly produced and if I had gotten into uni more on my days off I feel that maybe this could have changed, or possibly I just had not done enough research. I will not let this be a factor within this next project. However from following out a number of drawings from different galleries and day to day objects I was able to come up with the concept of 'Multiples'. This concept immediately inspired me and I began to draw a lot, experimentation was key within this project as we had to eventually design a print that would then go towards a collection.


My inspirations firstly came from the mood boards that we were asked to create. We had to carry out this activity twice as we had misunderstood the brief the first time around. Personally I was glad that we had to do this again as I was not inspired at all my the first mood board we had created relating to 'Opposites Mixed Up'. The drawings which I produced throughout this week were quite expressive, which is exactly the type of drawing that I wanted to produce. Looking back I wish I had created a lot more drawings that were more relevant to the course and the brief over all. The reason that I feel this is that some of my drawings were not relevant and were not used, I could not develop them further, which I should be able to do with each and every one of my drawings.


From the above images it is clear to see how my illustrations have developed from the 'Fashion Illustration for Dummies' tutorial to my final piece. Personally I am rather proud about how these have developed, as I was going to just settle for the first drawing but this was not an option, I knew that my first drawing was not good enough so I sat for hours trying to draw something I was happy with. Finally I produced the second image which I felt just clicked. The digital aspect of TD4F has really inspired and motivated me within this project as I find Photoshop and Illustrator extremely user friendly and some what easy to use and feel that this was definitely one of my strong points throughout the project. Although I already had experience using Photoshop, this was my first time using Illustrator, I was also able to learn lots of new things in Photoshop which allowed me to produce work faster and I am really glad that I had attended the CAD workshops as they are so useful. This definitely allowed me to develop and explore my skills within this area.



These skills have allowed me to produce this final design board, which is one of 6 final boards that I eventually created for the end of the project. I feel that my fashion flats could be more technical as at the moment they look more free hand, I will work on this when I next revisit this world, I feel that more time using illustrator could also give me an advantage within this area. The scale of the garments could also do with being slightly reduced. The one this that I am certain worked out well in this board is the garment on the illustrations. They are graphic, bold and contemporary which is fundamentally what I was aiming to do. I feel that my independent study time would be better used in the studio space rather than in my flat. Although I have enjoyed working at my own pace and with my own surroundings, it is essential that I use the space that has been provided in order to allow me to become inspired and to ask for guidance when and if I need to do so.

Overall I feel that this TD4F project has been successful which also reflects in the grade that I was given, I have enjoyed it but feel that there are still things that I need to improve upon in the future. Points that I would like to improve upon are my allocation of time and space, spend more time surrounded by other practitioners in the studio space. Visit more galleries and exhibitions to absorb inspiration and widen my knowledge of media. Finally to act upon my ideas immediately and to produce work not only faster but that is also more relevant in order to not get stuck and to power through.



No comments:

Post a Comment