Saturday 16 February 2013

Dying Fabrics

After developing several prints on plain white cotton I decided that I wanted to mix things up a little, and in order to include more of my colour palette it was necessary for me to dye some fabric, or to buy coloured fabric. However when I visited the A4 and more store I was really put off by the lack of colour selection they had. Maybe for a different project but right now the colours that they supply were just not going to work for my project. So, I decided to dye my fabric myself. As I am not a very patient person this was already off to a bad start! I got together my ingredients for the dye, and decided that I wanted to dip dye my fabric from a dark grey to a softer grey. This did not go to plan, it took about 2 hours for my fabric to eventually even take any colour and then it turned out purple!! Luckily for me purple was in my colour palette so all was not lost. I decided to do some pigment prints on the dyed fabric but I am still not that much of a fan of this technique. I will visit different fabric shops around manchester to gather some better fabrics.



 Making sure that the water is at the correct temperature is very important, dying fabrics is a very precise process and definitely does not suit me.


No comments:

Post a Comment