Saturday 22 February 2014

Final Evaluation

At the beginning of the Locating unit I was really motivated and eager to get started as the brief that I had set myself was really broad and open for experimentation. In one of my first blog posts I write about how I want to improve on the Intentions unit and work flat out from the start, as this was one of the negative comments from my previous feedback. I believe that I have committed to this statement, as I thought I may struggle to self motivate but I feel that by coming into university and seeing how inspired everyone else around me is and taking myself out of my home environment has really helped throughout this unit and I plan to continue with this pattern in Unit X.  In my brief I written that I would like to create a trend book, based on a trend that I had developed myself and then design a print collection based upon the trend. I have completely stuck to my brief, I thought it would be very difficult to do and time would not be on my side, however my time management skills have increased and this has been beneficial.

My work level has been consistent throughout. However I am quite disappointed in how I have handled my time when considering live projects, as I wish I could have completed a more in depth brief or something a bit different to what I was doing. In the next unit I will search for my own live projects and push myself with this to test my abilities on balancing more than one project at a time.

Something that I feel has really improved in this unit is my ability to research, and the outlets I use to do so. In the past I have tended to just use online recourses to do my research, however this term I have taken to the library and read quite a few books on trend forecasting and how graphics are used in fashion, also I have looked at Promostyl a lot in the journal section. I have found some of these books more helpful than I would a website. Although this being said I have really enjoyed exploring WGSN, which has been a huge inspiration throughout this brief. In my brief I have written about attending workshops and learning more digital skills, I have not been able to attend as many of the workshops as I would have liked however I have kept up to date with all of the hand outs and taught myself following these.

Within this unit we have also been asked to look for work experience within the ‘outside world’ I have been disappointed with the lack of feedback from emails that I have sent. It has been quite a challenge to keep motivated about this especially when others on the course have received more than one. However I have been able to construct a CV that I am proud to send to companies and a basic Covering letter format too. These are key so I can carry on throughout the next project and hope to get a placement over summer. One of the things I would change is to maybe have more pages on my finished trend book, and I wish I had gotten inducted to the book binging workshop to have a more functional bind on the book, I plan to do this before unit x as I think it would be useful. 

Overall I feel that this project has been really successful and I am very happy with the results. I feel that my trend book looks very professional and I spent a lot of time perfecting it to that standard. This project has also given me an insight into what I would like to do in the future. I have came out of my comfort zone and liked what I have found! Trend forecasting is definitely for me and I am looking forward to delving further into this within Unit X. Something I would like to improve upon is my designing skills. I need to experiment more with media and carry out more drawing to create a different range of designs. However I do feel that I have concreted the decision that my work belongs in the fashion world.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete