Thursday 8 November 2012

Fashion Illustration

As part of the TD4F world it is important to know how to draw the human figure, and to be able to show our designs on this figure. So we had a illustration masterclass, the basics of it are quite simple - use a fashion magazine, find a model doing a simple pose and do a quick trace of the pose. This is such a simple way of creating an illustration and you can put your own twist on it! Also hair magazines are great for sketching faces and different hair styles. Personally I always struggle thinking of a different 'out there' hair style to put on my illustrations so this was a really useful tip that I took away from the day. I went straight out and bought a magazine and started to draw. Unfortunately some of my drawings were unsuccessful but this is what experimenting is about, learning your strengths and weaknesses and putting your strengths out there.




I tried to experiment with different medias throughout this process too, but I much prefer a good old pencil! Although some people can make their illustrations look amazing with different medias I'm a detail lover. I feel that my faces are definitely holding me back here and are something I vastly need to improve upon, but I know this and have been practising ever since. I find simple faces much easier for my style of drawing. Also I prefer shorter hair does or up-do's when creating my illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment