Sunday 24 February 2013

Screen Printing

Over the past 6 weeks we have had access to the print room. Here I have experimented with a number of different techniques such as mono printing, screen printing and dip dyeing. However not all of these techniques have been pursued in the later weeks of being able to use the print room as these techniques just did not suite the style of prints that I wanted or the overall finish that I picture.

I feel that the technique which has worked the best for me is Screen Printing. This is because the colours that are achieved with the Pigment dyes were perfectly matched to those in my original image. The Pigment dyes also allowed the dye to sit on top of my fabric allowing the colour to be pretty much exactly the same once applied to a fabric. Where as with the Reactive dyes the fabric would absorb the dye easier and some of the colour would be lost of distorted.

My screen was made up from around 7 motifs all together but I have not used all of these as they just did not work. Looking back I feel I should have given more thought to my motifs and how they would have worked being used together.


Here are two of my screen prints which I feel have not worked. Although the two motifs that I have used I liked, I do not like them once placed onto fabric. The first image went well at first but the placement of the print was just not right. However I do like the over lapping of colours and motifs to give a 3D effect with the motif. The second image looks too much like a flag for my liking, the composition is off and the colours are not right being placed together. This is something I have definitely struggled with, combining my colours.. as the colours I have used do work well together, but only in certain combinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment