Tuesday 16 April 2013

Research Safari..

When I first heard that a 'research safari' had been organised I was quite hesitant to par-take.. exercise is not my strong point! However, a group of around 20 of us from unit x, and Susan the tutor set off around Manchester to learn more about the history behind manchester and also to discover fabric shops that we did not know about.

Firstly we started off around the Northern Quarter and the Ancoats, I am not really that familiar with this part of the city as it can be quite out the way from the centre. The Ancoats was really pretty in some areas, keeping Manchester's artistic vibe but with a lot more character. A lot of people of italian decent used to live in the Ancoats along side a lot of the fabric mills and factories, they opened a lot of ice cream parlours, making the Ancoats now my favourite part of manchester!


In the top left image there is a spy hole peeping into one of the abandoned factories in the area, which I though was really interesting, although this image isnt a very good one.. It still has all of the old machinery in there and is currently under construction. It is sad to see all of these historical places being put to different uses now that the country has no need for many British manufacturers. Also all of the streets are named things to do with the industry such as Cotton and Loom street which I thought was quite sweet.


We also took a walk through parts of the city centre, passing through Victoria Railway Station and Cheetham Hill. Susan lead us to the part of the city that holds a lot of textile retailers, one of which we were allowed to visit and take a look around, Central Trimmings. They had so many different trimmings, fabrics and fastenings, floor to ceiling! Now this district is full of mainly wholesalers which is not good news for us students however if we all chipped in the owner said we would be more than welcome to return. 

I feel that this trip was quite useful in the sense that I learnt a lot about Manchester that I would not have learnt otherwise. Also it broadened my knowledge of the textile retailers available in Manchester as I did not know of many. However I do not feel that this activity related to the actual project 'Unit X' itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment