Monday 14 October 2013

Space, Design and Architecture

Last year I felt that all of the lectures were quite boring and lacked direction and I tended to avoid them along side the seminars which I admit was a very silly thing to do and I do regret that from last year. So this year I attended my first lecture which was based around my chosen subject of 'Space, Design and Architecture'. I was surprised when I really enjoyed the lecture. We discussed the concept of 'The Place of Home', and 'Place and Space in Modern Domestic Environment'. We also went into a deeper feminist approach to the word home and what it represents, discussing the idea that men were more involved in the design of the home, were as women were more involved in what the space was designed for in the 1950's.

The reading we had to prepare for the lecture was a piece named 'Pram Town' which made for some interesting reading. I am intrigued in the subject and when we got to discuss this in our seminar it made me look at 'home' as more of a concept as apposed to a place. I feel that this lecture gave me a much more conceptual view of space, and I will look closer into this along side my Urban Influences brief for a more conceptual and contemporary outcome rather than a literal 'urban' fashion based collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment