Tuesday 19 November 2013

Print Room Day 1

After developing a number of digital designs I thought it best to experiment with the Print Room. Last year I did not have the best time in the Print Room, and do not particularly enjoy it, so this was a risk for me. However I felt that I needed to take this step in my project to make sure that I have explored all possible avenues for my project to go down. My main aim in the print room was to experiment with composition, colour and texture. I chose fabrics that I thought would work well as a garment rather than fabrics that would work well with the dyes (big mistake) but some interesting end results.



These first two images are of some thick jersey fabric I used pigment dyes on, I used a combination of screen printing and painting onto mesh and printing directly with it. The effect that the mesh has given reflects the 'urban' brief that I was originally given, its quick and rough and it not perfect which is what I like most about it, although I do not like the over all end result I am happy that I have done this as it has encouraged me to improve my digital skills and include more of the mesh within my digital designs.



The next two images are firstly of purple vinyl, which I could not set the pigment dyes on as it would wash straight off. However I really like the effect the pigment dye has on the vinyl, the motifs are slightly opaque, like a layer on photoshop. In the next image I have added some pearl pigment to the dark grey I had been using. I really liked the way the pigment looked in the pot as it reflected back to one of my primary images of petrol in a puddle, it gave this reflective, metallic, silky effect. However when applied to this synthetic fabric it did not have the desired effect.


 

Something that I have realised since being in the print room is that I need to spend a lot more time on getting my colours perfect. Although I may think that the colours suite my colour palette at first, when applied to fabric these colours are a lot different. Here I have experiment with clashing colours. Over all I do not like anything that I produced within the print room. However I am going to experiment with foils as I think that this could be used as a finishing effect on my digitally printed samples.



No comments:

Post a Comment